Sunnybrook Health Sciences Centre
HH Angus has been providing mechanical and electrical engineering at the Sunnybrook campus since 1945. The complex now totals more than 2,000,000 ft2. In that time, a great many individual projects have been successfully delivered.
M Wing was a major redevelopment project. Other large project examples from our work at Sunnybrook include the Toronto Sunnybrook Cancer Centre and the Sunnybrook High Voltage Emergency Power Renewal.
The expanded M Wing facility benefits Sunnybrook’s functioning in many ways: the main entrance now features a retail galleria with a pharmacy, gift shop, courtyard café and optical services; it provides more convenient patient pick-up and drop-off areas, and bus and taxi stops, and M Wing supports increased cancer care services.
M Wing was built in two phases – an initial 5-storey building with a four storey addition, under the Redevelopment Phase. The addition was approximately 620,000 ft2. M Wing consolidated services that had been dispersed throughout the hospital, including:
Mechanical Engineering | Electrical Engineering
Size: 200,000 ft2 | Status: Completed 2010
KEY SCOPE ELEMENTS
Redevelopment of M Wing | Added retail galleria with a pharmacy | Introduced patient pick-up and drop-off area | Renovation in a 5-storey building with an additional 4-storey that helped consolidate services throughout the hospital
- 16 operating rooms to replace the aging surgical suite
- An 18-bed critical care unit and a 12-bed cardiovascular intensive care unit
- Support services for the new surgical suite and critical care units, including new central sterile processing
- Expanded outpatient services
- Expanded radiology services
- A new surgical day procedure service incorporating specimen collection, a testing centre, day surgery, minor procedures, urology/cytoscopy and pain clinic
- Perinatal and gynecology program (relocated from Women’s College Hospital)