On March 1st, 2022, Infrastructure Ontario (IO) announced the selection of the Children First Consortium as the preferred proponent to design, build and finance the Grandview Children’s Centre Redevelopment in Ajax, Ontario.
The Children First Consortium team includes: Applicant Lead - Amico Design Build Inc., Sacyr Construction S.A | Design Team: Parkin Architects, H.H. Angus and Associated Limited | Construction Team: Amico Design Build Inc., Sacyr Construction S.A | Financial Advisor: Stonebridge Financial Corporation.
The project is expected to reach financial close in the coming weeks, and construction is scheduled to begin shortly thereafter.
The redevelopment of the Grandview Children’s Centre will reduce wait times, make services easier to access, and improve the range of rehabilitation services for children and youth with special needs in the Durham region and its catchment areas. It will also be an open, welcoming and inclusive community-based paediatric facility supporting an integrated mix of rehabilitation, medical and clinical services, as well as education and research activities.
Specifically, the new Grandview Kids headquarters will include:
- Centre-Wide Therapy Services: occupational therapy, physiotherapy, speech-language pathology, therapeutic recreation, audiology, infant hearing, blind low vision, social work;
- Autism Services;
- Preschool Outreach Program;
- School-Based Rehabilitation Services;
- SmartStart Hub services for families with a concern about their child’s development;
- Developmental Paediatric Medical Services including specialized medical clinics;
- Family/caregiver resources and support; and
- Campbell Children's School.
Design work on the project will begin in April 2022. Children First Consortium will then mobilize on site in May 2022 and construction will begin in September 2022. Construction is expected to be complete in spring 2024.